The workplan structure is based on a strong collaboration between all partners across all thematic work packages (WPs) and tasks (Ts). The research and innovation activities are subdivided into WP2-4. Because the project focuses on developing the integrated proof-of-concept devices (WP4, lead: CNRS), the activities are structured to facilitate synergies between all partners to provide key inputs to WP4. WP2 (Micro/Nano-fabrication & drug production, WP lead: MPL) aims at producing chiral drug samples and optimizing the materials, light sources, operational frequency & designs for the manufacturing of the photonic components towards application with the development of multimodal CS systems for analysis of chiral drugs under WP3 (lead by Univaq). These goals will be accomplished by continuous interaction between experimental investigations and the constant interdisciplinary modelling support provided by Univaq.
This WP aims at securing the effective implementation of all activities and project objectives within the time schedule and budget. The coordinator is responsible for communication, reporting, financial/data management required by the European Commission (EC). Objectives:
• Building the management infrastructure;
• Steering the consortium through the work plan;
• Overviewing financial/contractual issues;
• Mediating the EC and the consortium partners;
• Coordinating project meetings;
• Overviewing risk mitigation strategies.
WP2 aims at producing chiral drug samples and optimizing the materials, light sources, operational frequency & designs for the manufacturing of the photonic components towards application with the development of multimodal CS systems for analysis of chiral drugs under WP3 (lead by EPFL). Objectives:
• Production & pre-characterization of chiral pharmaceutical samples;
• Enable the manufacturing of (i) PCFs, (ii) semiconductor-based MSs, and (iii) PNSs.
Within this WP, a set of multimodal approaches will be developed to address the standing challenges in terms of device miniaturization and the required chiral sensitivity to sub-nl volumes. The approaches are two-pronged and will realize compact setups for microfluidic integration, novel systems enabling the generation of radiation vortices with tailored OAM, and the implementation of field-resolved CS in time domain to achieve near-shot-noise-limited sensitivity. Advanced data analysis by ML (ForBio & Univaq) will be employed to correlate information from multimodal measurements and elucidate the best route towards the implementation of the demonstrator device. Objectives:
• Light source tuning and optimization;
• Demonstrate and validate chiroptical resolution of enantiomer absolute concentration;
• AI-inspired data reduction and optimization of chiroptical spectroscopy frequency range according to drug specifics.
Ultimate signal enhancement will be achieved in this WP by combining the photonic platforms manufactured in WP2 into an integrated device with optimized chiroptical sensing capabilities assessed in WP3. Objectives:
• Hybrid-device design & implementation;
• Metasurface interconnection;
• Validate electrical tunability of PCF mode coupling and microfluidic functionality.
This WP aims at 1) facilitating/monitoring collaboration within the consortium; 2) protecting IP under EU regulations prior to the dissemination of results and preparing their exploitation after the end of the project; 3) organizing dissemination and exploitation towards scientific/industrial communities, business strategy and market analysis; 4) organizing external communication measures; outreach, communication and dissemination activities. Objectives:
• Manage IP rights;
• Promote the exploitation and dissemination of project results;
• Enable new industrial relationships with SMEs and startups.